Shopping for online auto insurance quotes can be quite demanding, but knowing that they are a lot cheaper, faster, less complicated and extremely convenient, we all have to do it at one point of time or another.
This compilation of tips may be able to help you avoid overpaying for your car insurance premiums, and save a few hundred dollars in the process.
1. Search for Auto Insurance Quotes Regularly: If you do not shop around for online auto insurance quotes, you can end up paying the same premium for years, which is really pointless because as vehicles age, they decrease in value.
So, you should not pay the same premium on them as you would on newer vehicles. Get into the habit of conducting a quote search, perhaps, on a yearly basis, and the more often you do it, the better your chances of getting lower online auto insurance quotes.
2. Consider “liability only” Insurance for Older Vehicles: Before getting your online auto insurance quote, always take into account the value of your vehicle compared to the amount you’re paying for premiums when making decisions such as “liability only” insurance.
For example, if the wholesale value of your car is $1000, you need not pay nearly that much per year because that is all you’ll receive from the insurance company in the event of an accident.
3. Take a Defensive Driving Course: Your online auto insurance quote is also affected when you take a simple 6 hour defensive driving course, which can save you up to 10% on your auto insurance premium.
The local department of motor vehicles should have more information on this. Otherwise, there are also courses available through mail, video, or the internet.
4. Insure with the Same Agency: When you apply for online auto insurance quote, remember that most insurance companies will give you a discount for multiple auto insurance policies.
So if you own more than one vehicle, you should insure each of them with the same insurance agency. If you also have life, home, fire, boat or any other type of insurance, use the same agency for your auto insurance.
5. Raise your Deductible: Higher deductibles result in lower insurance premiums, so set your deductible at the highest rate possible. At the same time, it’s also imperative that you do not neglect additional financial resources that can help cover the deductible in case of an accident.
6. Check your Credit Rating: Be aware that most insurance companies will check your current credit score as part of their calculation for your insurance premium, since like all other business setups, they want to be paid, and on time. So you need to maintain a healthy credit rating before you get your online auto insurance quote.
7. Let Them Know why you are at Lower Risk: Insurance companies mainly base their rates on one element – risk. Therefore, you need to have valid reasons why you are at lower risk when obtaining your online auto insurance quote, such as having a safe vehicle, a clean driving record, anti-theft devices etc.